If you know me, you know how much my grandma means to me. My grandma was and is EVERYTHING to me. She raised me, she taught me so much of what I know, and she prepared me to be the awesome person I AM today. And that’s not bragging or being arrogant… I hope you think you’re awesome because I definitely think I’m awesome. I think you’re awesome too.
Back to my grandma… Today is her birthday. So many cool people were born on this day: Michelle Obama, Muhammad Ali, Betty White, Jim Carrey, Steve Harvey, Dwayne Wade, Benjamin Franklin, James Earl Jones, Maury Povich, Eartha Kitt, the list goes on. January 17th will always be a special day for me. Let me tell y’all a few amazing facts about my grandma.
- She was a teacher during the time that schools integrated. She talked to me about how they would have to stay in houses out of town for their protection. She taught the children of the Klan. Imagine that.
- She was very well-educated. She obtained her Master’s degree in 1948. That’s amazing.
- She taught school for thirty-seven years. She was one of the best teachers in Johnston County.
- She took me to Mexico, the Grand Cayman Islands and Jamaica when I was nine years old because she wanted me to see that there was more to the world than what I saw every day.
- She was the first black person in our town to get indoor plumbing. That’s wild.
- She always taught me that White Suremacy only worked if you believed that White people were supreme. Therefore, I never bought into White Supremacy, because no one is more supeme than I AM.
- She instilled values in me that have kept me from being a victim of a lot of things my peers have faced. She ALWAYS had my back, and she taught me that no one else will have my back the way I WILL. So I always bet on Kole. Always. No matter what.
And that’s it. I just wanted to share a few things about my lady. May God continue to rest her precious soul.
Have an amazing day today. Show love to yourself AND others. Be GREAT! I speak life to you and everyone and everything connected to you! Catch me tomorrow!